I have a few go to summer sides for cookouts and parties and this pasta salad is one of them. Something about summertime makes me crave this pasta salad and it’s always a big hit! I’m from eastern North Carolina and basically grew up with vinegar as the only condiment. Not really but we did put it on pretty much everything. I probably use more than most would for this recipe but you can dial it down a bit if you aren’t a big vinegar fan.
For this paste salad, white distilled vinegar and italian dressing packets are combined as the dressing and it gives the dish a lot of flavor. This recipe is super simple and packed with veggies. You can subsitute the veggies to our families liking.
- 2 Italian Dressing Packets
- 1 cup White Distilled Vinegar (or less if you aren’t a vinegar fan)
- 12 oz. Tri Colored Rotini
- 2.25 oz. can Sliced Black Olives
- 12 oz. container Traditional Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 2 large cucumbers-peeled, sliced in half long ways, seeds removed (I use a melon baller to scoop the seeds out) then diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- Mix Italian dressing packets and vinegar together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook pasta in well-salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain pasta and transfer to large bowl with dresssing mixture. Stir pasta in dressing mixture until all pasta is covered.
- Add Feta cheese to pasta and mix well. (I prefer to do this while the pasta is still hot to help the cheese melt some).
- Mix in black olives, cucumbers, yellow and orange bell peppers and onion.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours to allow the flavors to mix together.
- Stir again before serving.